Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Nacreous Clouds, The Library, and Auroras...One of these things is not like the others

Day number 17 is ending rather fabulously. I have finally found a place on station where I can escape and plan to be, for the most part, alone! Yay, for libraries!! I will be volunteering at the McMurdo Library 2-4 times a month for the next 26weeks and so far in my volunteering experience I have had all of 5 patrons (two of which don't really count because they were coming to see if I was interested in coming out with them later...they had no immediate interest in books) So perfect peace is what I have found...and a pretty large expanse of books...Well large considering where I am.
And while I cannot yet say that the population is getting to me, I can only imagine how long it will be before my inability to get away from people will start to wear on me. Better that I find solace now. Along with the Library the chapel has turned out to be a sanctuary in itself. I cannot pretend that I am using it for religious reasons, but I am using it for reasons of solitude...and as dramatic as it sounds, sanctuary. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday find me in the Chapel for Yoga at 6:30. I may not be reading a bible, but in Jessica's world there is little else more spiritual for me than watching an amazing sunset over an unbelievably large expanse of ice while I forget about the stress of my work day...and that's what I find in the Chapel three times a week (BUT, no matter what anyone tells you, Yoga is NOT relaxing. Its hard...and it hurts...but its still great)

Other news for the day is the Nacreous clouds that have finally decided to show themselves. It seems so late in the season for them to just be showing up now, but I suppose everything that has happened this year has seemed later. And even though that can be very easily attributed to our late deployment this year, I have still found it a little unsettling how quickly winfly is becoming a thing of the past. After sunset the light lingers a little longer and I didn't see it coming last year, but I'm prepared for it this year and I know that on of these evenings that sun will NOT be going down.

That being said its stargazing/Aurora hunting time! A nice long walk under the beautiful bright moon in search of some astronomical phenomena is how I plan to end day 17...


Stats for the day

Temperature: -25°C/-13°F
Windchill: -25°C/-13°F

Visibility(miles): Unrestricted
Wind(knots): Calm

Sunrise: 8:46am
Sunset: 5:01pm

Population: 457

1 comment:

  1. Just so you know I am living vicariously through you :)

    You have a great way of writing! I feel like I am sitting in a room listening to you.

    love you cousin!

    ReplyDelete